1 Corinthians 13:4-5

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs." 1 Corinthians 13:4~5

Friday, January 7, 2011

What concepts in the Sawi culture intrigued / reviled / saddened / angered / surprised you?

The concept of the Sawi culture that really saddened and shocked me the most, was the concept of "fattening for friendship." Now, this concept is definitely way out of my brain capacity because I have NEVER experienced or even heard of this custom, until I read Peace Child. What this concept is, is basically forming a friendship over months or even many years with someone and really gaining their trust and not making them feel like they need to be on guard or worried about betrayal at all. And then, when the right moment comes, completely stab them in the back (literally) and kill and eat them. When this is done this is thought of as the highest honor in their culture and that betrayal is the coolest thing you could do there.
Like I said I've DEFINITELY never experienced or even heard of this before I read this book, but once I read it I tried to put myself into their perspective and that's just what truly broke my heart. I have many friends in my life. Some I've known for only 6 months, and others I've literally known for my entire life. I can NOT imagine having those wonderful friendships in the Sawi village and then one day hanging out with them and having them betray me in the highest form by killing me and dishonoring me by eating me! That's just unheard of! And I also could not imagine in my wildest nightmares, being the one that betrays my friends and killing and eating them. I would just never be able to live with myself and it breaks my heart to think that those friendships that were had were just a total lie and all focused on creating a deeper relationship just to make the betrayal even more drastic.

This is the concept that I just could not get my mind around in the Sawi culture, and when I read about this my heart broke just to think that this is the way that the Sawi used to live and many other cultures are probably still living like this today.

1 comment:

  1. Can you image how God feels when we betray each other in small things? Or how he felt when Peter denied Christ? Yet we are continually faced with this challenge...loving each other selflessly is not always easy.

    ReplyDelete